Saturday, May 1, 2010

The last blog posting!

Final presentation largely complete, reflection paper done, I now step boldly towards what may be my last blog post ever. Hows that for dramatic? It is also, possibly, very inaccurate.

Since I was half the country away last week and missed Erik's talk, I am going to go on the alternate blog topic this week - something from the class that surprised me. The biggest surprise that I got this semester was that I don't hate blogging.

Oh, I did at first. Oh yes I did. I never liked reading blogs - and still largely don't - so I could not see the point of writing them. But tonight, as I listen to a huge possum eat out of the cat dish we leave outside - it really is big I should go take a picture - I am thinking that once I am done with this chapter in my academic life in August, I might pick up blogging again.

There are some bits that I will have to work out through, before I do. The first is a topic. Lets face it, the more interesting posts that I have put up have not been on emerging technology. While I have plenty of opinions, I don't have enough stored up crazy to enter the political arena. I have doubts that anyone would be interested to know about what stocks I am trading or why and given the low volume that I play with, I could hardly be called an expert in the field - and I'd rather write about something that I know about rather then making it up along the way. Which leaves old cars and family. I could write about either, and be content with my content.

The next is my audience. For this class, we had a built in audience, and that was kinda nice. I always knew that at least Amy was reading what I wrote, and maybe some of the other folks too. But if I start up my blog anew, I will not have the built in audience, and if no one is reading how long will I stay motivated to write it? If I am writing about friends and family, I am pretty sure I would have a few readers curious enough about what we are up to to read. If I write about the restoration business, I have the possibility of a rather large readership - but would have to accept that most of the readers would be argumentative jerks. Also, being that my focus for old vehicles is pretty myopic, I might not be able to compete with the folks who are blogging on the larger readership boards. Would knowing that I might be helpful to the next guy that wants to resto-mod an old army truck or unloved Porsche or Corvair, without reinventing the wheel, be enough to keep me going? I don't know.

And, I won't find out until September at the earliest. Summer class schedules are tight. I won't have any delusions about starting any new blogs until after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment